About the DE
By providing a consistent user interface for access to the tools and computing resources needed for specialized scientific analyses, the Discovery Environment facilitates data exploration and scientific discovery.
- Access tools and data in the DE with an unprecedented degree of scalability due to its integration with CyVerse’s data management system and compute resources. In the future, the DE will employ provenance tracking of both primary and derived files to track and reproduce experiments.
- Run existing bioinformatics software apps on CyVerse clusters or TACC supercomputers quickly, easily, and efficiently. We offer apps for phylogenetics and systematics, data standardization, transcriptomics and genomics, clustering and network analysis, QTL mapping and GWAS, sequence alignments and phylogenetic tree building, NGS, phylogenetic comparative methods, and trait evolution.
- Use hundreds of command-line analytical tools, utility tools, and scripts, without the need to learn the command line.
- Access, manage, and share data files, workflows, analyses results, and data visualizations with collaborators or with the community at large, knowing your data is safe and accessible within the iRODS data management system.
- Use analytical apps individually or in workflows on local or high-performance computing nodes.
- Easily add any command-line tool or any executable into the tool list, and then create or edit a new customized interface for the app or create a sequenced workflow by chaining one app to another in automated workflow.
- Use application programming interfaces (APIs) for tool integration, resource-intensive analyses, or workflow building.
- Use the same login for all CyVerse resources.
Because much of the complexity is hidden from the user, the DE makes it easy for non-technical users to get the job done simply and easily; no need to master command-line analysis tools or learn new software for every type of analysis. All aspects of your bioinformatics workflow—data management, analysis, sharing large datasets, and more—can be handled within the DE.
Ready to get started?
- Want an intro?
- View the introduction to the DE the first time you log in to the DE to get a feel for how the DE functions and its major features. (You can view it at any time by clicking within the DE and then clicking Introduction.)
- Learn how to use the Discovery Environment in the Discovery Environment user manual on the CyVerse wiki.
- View our list of tutorials on the CyVerse wiki.
- Have a question about the DE? Ask a question.